Sunday, February 1, 2009

I am a 'sew and sew'. . .

I don't even know if that term is used anymore but when I was a little girl my mother would say, "Oh she is such a so and so. . ." I'm guessing it meant that whoever she might be referring to was a real character. Well, I hope I am not that kind of a so and so but I am a real sew and sew. I love to sew and I don't do nearly enough of it to satisfy me. But every few months I get to do something that really feeds my creative cravings.

I hate sewing under pressure and I really don't like doing what I call 'down and dirty' sewing. I like to do the kind of sewing that takes time and gives lots of attention to details and I try to get it as close to perfection as I can. I know that kind of sewing drives most people crazy but for me it just feeds something inside of me. Maybe it is the quest for that long 'four letter' word -- perfection.

Some people have told me that I should start a business or try to sell my dresses. Never! That would totally ruin it! A big part of my sewing is that most often I am doing it for love. And being able to give a gift that makes someone happy is where it's at. This one is for my friend Cami. She was sick just about her whole pregnancy but her darling little Scotlyn was born in January.



Besides hating to sew under pressure I have a reason for sewing things up ahead of time. This dress won't be worn until March but it will hang in my sewing room where I can see it for the whole month of February. It will take me that long to bond with it. Dresses like this take a long time to create -- first in my mind, then on paper and finally on the sewing machine. I need time to look at it and absorb it. Then I can give it away. Kind of like children.

3 comments:

  1. That dress is BEAUTIFUL! I need a girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Eva, Thank you Thank you, I love it!!! Now I can show my family. My mom called it a masterpiece:) You really have gone above and beyond, like usual. I love your cute blog, is there anything you don't do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I guess I need to have at least one more kid just to take you up on the blessing outfit offer. You are one talented sew and sew!

    ReplyDelete