Thursday, January 1, 2009

Words to Live By

Recently I read Collin Powell's "Rules to Live By."

I thought they were pretty good:

  1. It ain't as bad as you think. It will look better in the morning.
  2. Get mad, then get over it.
  3. Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.
  4. It can be done!
  5. Be careful what you choose. You may get it.
  6. Don't let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.
  7. You can't make someone else's choices. You shouldn't let someone else make yours.
  8. Check small things.
  9. Share credit.
  10. Remain calm. Be kind.
  11. Have a vision.
  12. Don't take counsel of your fears or naysayers.
  13. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.*

*"force multiplier" is a military term basically meaning something that will increase the effectiveness of a person or group. The more optimistic you are, the more powerful you are, no matter the circumstances.

This set me to thinking. Do I have rules I live by? Well, of course I do. But could I distill them down to a short list? I've been thinking about it off and on for days now and I have a list. I'm not suggesting this is comprehensive but it has been fun.

Eva's Rules

  1. Do the maintenance. Take care of your stuff, your body and the laundry.
  2. Pray, read scriptures and put on makeup every day as many times as needed.*(refer to #9)
  3. Make bread and attend the temple once a week.
  4. Don't be caught short. Keep the pantry stocked and have milk in the fridge.
  5. Stay connected to the earth- garden without gloves.
  6. Make friends with children.
  7. Feed people. Feed people good food.
  8. Never "sit on a blister" or "suck your thumb." Do something instead.
  9. If you feel like crying, do it, then blow your nose and move on.*
  10. When you see someone you want to be friends with, make it happen.
  11. If given an option pick red!
  12. Remember to be grateful and say it.
  13. Don't leave the house without food.
  14. Always have a list.
  15. Get over yourself.
  16. Choose happy.

So there you have it. Do you have a list? Everyone has one but writing it down is the trick.

Happy New Year!!

4 comments:

  1. Love your list! Hopefully I can incorporate some of those things into my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great list Eva. I will make a similar one and post it. It is a fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas Eva,thanks for sharing.Lisa Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Eva! I love your list! Some of your rules are mine too, but I need to make them "rules" instead of good ideas. I garden without gloves--it's just so much more organic. I tend to be a red-picker (or other bright colors, but mostly red), and I never leave the house without food OR a list! Awesome. Great inspiration. Love, Kara

    ReplyDelete