Friday, October 8, 2010

Unwelcome Guest

I have a new friend staying with me. I call him Clint. He's been around for a week now.

This morning I decided to take him out for a walk in the neighborhood.

On a beautiful October Fall day in northern Utah you'd expect to see Asters like these that greeted us.


But Marigolds that look like it's July!!??


And Petunias!!??


But the best one was this Rose peeking over my friend Sonda's fence.


It made me forget for just a minute that Clint was with me.
Now don't get me wrong. 
Clint has been here for a reason and I have really needed him for the last week.
But I will not be sorry to see him go.

Let me introduce you to 






Clint . . . the Splint.


I met Clint last Thursday after I fractured my scaphoid bone. 
(I am not ready to disclose how this occurred . . . )

Exhibit A:
The Scaphoid


The scaphoid is one of the small bones in the wrist. 
It is the wrist bone that is most likely to break.
The scaphoid is located on the thumb side of the wrist, in the area where the wrist bends.

The orthopedic surgeon attempted to place a small screw into the bone through a a small puncture incision like so-
Exhibit B:
(Left) This x-ray shows a scaphoid fracture fixed in place with a screw.
 (Right) This x-ray was taken 4 months after surgery. The fracture of the scaphoid is healed.

But as my Luck would have it . . . the lower part of the scaphoid shattered and he had to open it up and pin it together like so-
Exhibit C: 
X-ray of Eva's Wrist!

So now you know who Clint is and why I have needed him this last week.
He keeps me from seeing the wires sticking out of my wrist.
He will be with me until this next Thursday when he will be replaced by Plaster Pete.
Pete and I will be together MUCH longer.
We'll be walking in the snow together for sure.

(This Blog was prepared single-handedly by me.)


2 comments:

  1. Ha ha. So sorry you have to have Clint hanging around :) Hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eva, Just saw your post on facebook and thought I'd check your blog. YIKES! I feel so sorry for you. I messed my ankle up big time ine 2003 and had to do surgery, wires, screws, plates, etc. My X-rays look like an aisle at Ace Hardware! I had to be in casts and a boot for 5 1/2 months. It was awful. Hope things are better with Black Bart around--you're doing amazingly well, one-handed. Make sure Barry and the fam pamper you once in awhile! Here's to a short recuperation and healing time.

    ReplyDelete